October 13, 2014

Condemn them or Love them

     There is a huge misconception about what Christians believe when it comes to what God said is a sin. There are those who say, "How can you love me if you condemn me?" "You are judging me because you say it is a sin!". I have a personal experience from a great individual who "de-friended" me because he declared that I must hate him if I believe that homosexual relationships are a sin. He told me that "Love cannot exist" in my belief of what God has declared as sin. Obviously, I know better, as he cannot read my mind or experience my feelings. I never condemned him in my mind. I never judged him. This is the hardest thing for someone outside Christianity to understand. I hope I can explain.
     Christ was confronted by others with a woman who had been "taken in adultery, in the very act" (John 8:4). After Christ pointed out that the others were in no position to judge, they left him alone with her. Christ then told the woman to "go and sin no more". He did not enforce the law. He did not condemn. He did not judge her to heaven or to hell. The only thing he did was acknowledge it was a sin. He understood his purpose on earth. Christ made it possible for all men to escape an eternal condemnation, to escape an eternal judgement from past mistakes, through repentance and change.
     There was one judgment, but that judgement was not on the woman, and it came with no condemnation. The judgment was what was sin. We can all follow this example, and remain firm in our beliefs by never judging an individual, while recognizing sin.
     When one understand a Christians belief in the doctrines of repentance, and the cleansing power Christ, they can begin to understand how there is no judgment or condemnation while recognizing what is sin. It is taught about when judgement occurs, and when a soul is condemned. That does not happen until after one dies and appears at the time of final judgement. This life is a time of repentance, which means it is also a time with sin. There is no escaping sin in this life, and repentance happens daily. As for condemnation, it has no place in this life on earth.  There is a time for condemnation, ant that time is between an individual and God. At that time of judgement, there are no other people condemning them, it is between them and God.
     When one feels condemned by others, because the beliefs of others conflict with their lifestyle, the only person who is condemning them are themselves. They can only be condemned by themselves. Nobody else knows the inner workings of their mind, or their future commitment. Nobody knows what knowledge they posses or sincerely believe.
     As for me, I believe that sin exists. I believe that drinking coffee is a sin! But am I condemning all of my coffee drinking friends? I have told them my beliefs with tea and coffee, and how I believe it is a sin. But none of them have felt uncomfortable drinking coffee around me. I do not condemn one in a homosexual relationship, I do not condemn the coffee drinker. But I acknowledge that I believe God has revealed that they are sin. I will not back down from my belief.
     Because everyone has the potential to be free from all condemnation no matter the past or current beliefs and practices, I can safely assume the best in them. A choose to see everyone as Sons and Daughters of God. I choose to see everyone as loved of God. I sin, I make mistakes, but I know that I am loved by God. This love is given to everyone.

No comments: