June 15, 2014

Fathers Day

Today I listened to an excellent talk in our church meetings about our heavenly father and our earthly father. It got me viewing fathers day in a completely different point of view.

     How good of a father would one be if he got upset because he had to be a dad on fathers day? Fathers day has been a day for giving gifts and honoring fathers for all that they do. Sometimes fathers are catered to by giving them a day of rest from, otherwise, fatherly duties. While this is not a bad thing to do while honoring your father, a true father should not view fathers day as a day where this is expected.

    What does our Heavenly Father do on fathers day?
He teaches doctrine. He answers prayer. 
He offers more hope to those in despair.
 He comforts the weary. He strengthens the weak.
  He loves his children. He blesses the meek.

His joy is obtained from his children's success.
He upholds the good, He see's past our mess.
No rest from his love for each daughter and son.
No rest from comforting. He's never done.

He's always our father. He's always there.
His love never falters. He really does care.
Not a day goes by where joy isn't found.
No rest from his duties, One Eternal Round.

As a father, I hope to be like both my heavenly father and my earthly father. Since fathers day is about being a father, I want to remain one on that day. I hope to be there for my children every day. I hope to give the same level of guidance I received from my dad.

So as you search the scriptures and ponder the tender mercies the lord has given his children throughout time, try to be more like him and give tender mercies to your children. And whether they are smearing their food on the walls, or pushing their brother down the stairs, or whether they break into the refrigerator to mix the cool-aid with their hands. (just happened, right as I was typing this). Remember that this is the time to be a dad. This is the time to love your child. This is the time to be an example worth remembering. 

Here are some attributes of God that we can all work on
‘faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, [and] diligence'



No comments: